Preparing for Flood Damage
Homeowners in Boca Raton, FL, are like many homeowners all over the country: cognizant that flooding in any season is a potential threat and that working to minimize its destruction makes good sense. Investing time and effort ahead of a deluge is well worth the favorable outcome that can result from a proactive stance.
Proactive Flood Tips
There are many steps that homeowners can take to minimize flood damage in the event that waters rise. Some are straightforward inspection and maintenance issues that can be accomplished relatively quickly and easily.
• Clear debris from gutters and downspouts. If water can move freely through them, it has a better chance of being carried away from basements and foundations.
• Check that outflows from the home are fully operational.
• Install a sump pump or purchase an on-demand submersible pump and drainage hose, and regularly test them.
• Carry adequate flood insurance, especially if the home occupies an area prone to floods. Acquire sandbags and a source for filling them.
• Ensure that storm drains are clear and notify municipal authorities of any blockages that occur.
• Consider elevating appliances such as washers, dryers, and dehumidifiers in basements or other low-lying areas.
• Store irreplaceable documents and valuables off-site, such as in a safe-deposit box.
Plan a Calm Response
In the event that flooding occurs that surpasses efforts to prevent its incursion, it is important to also have a response plan. Monitor local weather alerts and evacuate promptly if directed to do so. Assemble your family and pets. If staying at home is an option, move belongings to higher ground and place electrical appliances at the top. Cut power to avoid the risk of electrocution. Gather needed medications, food, drinking water, phones and their chargers.
It is important to remember that remediation services are only a phone call or email away. Storm damage and flooding remediation can begin as soon as travel becomes safe again.