What's the Difference?
What is the difference between a Flood Watch and a Flood Warning issued by the National Weather Service?
- Flash Flood Warning: Take Action! A Flash Flood Warning is issued when a flash flood is imminent or occurring. If you are in a flood prone area move immediately to high ground. A flash flood is a sudden violent flood that can take from minutes to hours to develop. It is even possible to experience a flash flood in areas not immediately receiving rain.
- Flood Warning: Take Action! A Flood Warning is issued when the hazardous weather event is imminent or already happening. A Flood Warning is issued when flooding is imminent or occurring.
- Flood Watch: Be Prepared: A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for a specific hazardous weather event to occur. A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for flooding. It does not mean flooding will occur, but it is possible.
- Flood Advisory: Be Aware: An Flood Advisory is issued when a specific weather event that is forecast to occur may become a nuisance. A Flood Advisory is issued when flooding is not expected to be bad enough to issue a warning. However, it may cause significant inconvenience, and if caution is not exercised, it could lead to situations that may threaten life and/or property.
- Information from http://www.floodsafety.noaa.gov/
How to Begin the Process of Professional Water Damage Restoration
Water damage and having a flooded home is a lot more common than you might think. Many people live near water, whether this is a lake, river or ocean and because of this, they may deal with water in their home or water in their business office more often than they would like. If this has been a problem for you in the past and you are now dealing with a lot of damage issues, it is time to get in the mitigation experts to do proper restoration and drying.
What to Do After Having a Flooded Home and Water Damage
After you have dealt with a significant amount of water in your home or have had water in a business office, you need to contact a local restoration company to come in and do the work for you. One of the reasons it's important to leave the mitigation to the experts is because a supply line break or even a full-on pipe break can cause a large amount of damage that is hard to handle on your own. Flood damage can cause a lot of serious future issues if it is not properly cleaned, so water cleanup is essential to a high-functioning home.
How to Hire a Professional Restoration Company for Mitigation
The best way for you to hire a restoration company for your home's flood damage is to contact the one you find most helpful. They will let you know what to expect out of the restoration and how much it is going to cost you. They can also find the pipe break or supply line break that is causing the issues to begin with. You may need to get someone else in to handle the pipe break or supply line break, but at least you will be aware of what is causing your problem.
How the Pros Work with Water Damage Issues
Water damage restoration is incredibly thorough and involves drying and water cleanup that is done by the experts. Mitigation and restoration can take a few weeks to finalize, especially if you have dealt with a lot of water in your business area or have a ton of water in the home. Drying takes time, as nothing is instant, so this is definitely something to consider for yourself if you have been having issues doing the water cleanup on your own.
The Costs of Having a Flooded Home and Water Cleanup
Thankfully, a lot of insurance companies will cover the costs of hiring a restoration company, so if you have a pipe break or have a total supply line break, you'll need to think about the benefits of hiring one of these experts. They can handle the flood damage in a quick and easy manner, leaving you without water in your home and any standing water in a business area that you might own as well.
How to Prevent a Future Flooded Home
Drying is important if you ever have another flood in the area. To prevent flood damage, you'll need to consider the benefits of preparation and getting your home waterproofed. You will also want to look at different insurance options because this will help you to save money long-term. There are tons of people who are making use of this option, so be sure to consider it for yourself and get what you need before you have any issues.
For anyone who has dealt with a flood, it is vitally important to hire the experts to do the work for you. There are so many different ways for the restoration company to do this for you, so make sure to make it a habit that you will find to be helpful and useful. There are a lot of issues that come with significant water damage, so be sure to think about these before dealing with a flooded home. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach can help you…contact us at 561-391-3366
When there is water in your home, mold can quickly become an issue. It can cause health issues and damage to your property. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment to handle your mold problem.
Call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. One of our employees will ask a series of questions to help determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed.
Your property will be carefully inspected for signs of mold using various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view.
Different containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold, like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
Specialized filtration equipment captures microscopic mold spores out of the air. SERVPRO of South Palm Beach technicians use powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in progress.
The process of mold remediation depends on the amount of mold growth and the type of surface it's on. Anti-fungal and antimicrobial treatments will be used to eliminate mold colonies and help prevent new ones from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary.
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach cleans your furniture, decorative items, curtains, and other restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings.
Depending on the level of mold damage, some building materials may have to be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs or major repairs such as reconstruction.
In some cases, our mold jobs need to be referred to an industrial hygienist. If you are like me then you're asking "what exactly is that and what do they do?"
According to www.aiha.org , "Industrial Hygiene is a science and art devoted to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, prevention, and control of those environmental factors or stresses arising in or from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well being, or significant discomfort among workers or among citizens of the community."
They describe Industrial hygienists as "scientists and engineers committed to protecting the health and safety of people in the workplace and the community."
SERVPRO of South Palm Beach does not do inspections but we can give you a quote on the visible substance you can SEE.
The steps listed below illustrate our process for a “typical” mold remediation infestation:
- Emergency Contact – 561-391-3366
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Prepare Your Business!
Prepare your business for winter weather!
-Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rai, ice and snow, can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
-Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
-Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
-Ask your SERVPRO of South Palm Beach Professional about starting an Emergency Ready Profile for your business.
What is an Emergency Ready Profile?
It is a "snapshot" of each building owned/managed by a business, that provides critical information for emergency preparation.
Emergency Ready Profile
As a homeowner you always want to make sure you have emergency contacts close by in case anything unexpected happens. What if you are a homeowner but also a business owner? I know personally I couldn't imagine the amount of stress! SERVPRO of South Palm Beach realizes that you might not think about the unexpected things that might happen to your business; flooding, tornado damage, etc.
That's why we have our Emergency Ready Program available to you! Our ERP, Emergency Ready Profile is the best way to reduce business interruption following a disaster, plan for it now! As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile Advantage A no cost assessment of your facility. – This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost. A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. – It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed. A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. – This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action. Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. – You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by. Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. – This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money. Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. – Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.” Give us a call today and set up your ERP!
Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States.
There is always potential for flood damage no matter where you live. According to the American Red Cross floods cause more damage in the United States every year than any other weather related disaster. The American Red Cross offers these flood safety tips:
-Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
-If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are riding rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
-Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
If a flood occurs and affects you, call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach. Even minor floods have potential to cause major damage. We are faster to ANY size disaster. Let us help you get your life back in order.
You Can Control Mold
Inside your home you can control mold growth by:
- Controlling humidity levels;
- Promptly fixing leaky roofs, windows, and pipes;
- Thoroughly cleaning and drying after flooding;
- Ventilating shower, laundry, and cooking areas.Mold growth, which often looks like spots, can be many different colors, and can smell musty. If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and CDC does not recommend or perform routine sampling for molds. No matter what type of mold is present, you should remove it. Since the effect of mold on people can vary greatly, either because of the amount or type of mold, you can not rely on sampling and culturing to know your health risk. Also, good sampling for mold can be expensive, and standards for judging what is and what is not an acceptable quantity of mold have not been set. The best practice is to remove the mold and work to prevent future growth.
- If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:
- If mold is growing in your home, you need to clean up the mold and fix the moisture problem. Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of household laundry bleach in 1 gallon of water.
- Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.
- Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
- Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
- If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 square feet, consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guide titled Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. Although focused on schools and commercial buildings, this document also applies to other building types.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product.
Severe Weather Tips
Since SERVPRO of South Palm Beach partners with the American Red Cross we love sharing their tips on different occasions.
Check out www.redcross.org for more information!
TORNADOES Tornadoes can strike without warning and destroy a community in seconds. Before a tornado warning is issued for your area, here are some things you should do:
- Know your community’s warning system.
- Pick a place where family members can gather if a tornado is headed your way. It could be your basement or, if there is no basement, a center hallway, bathroom, or closet on the lowest floor. Keep this place uncluttered.
- If you are in a high-rise building and don’t have enough time to go to the lowest floor, pick a place in a hallway in the center of the building.
- Remove diseased and damaged limbs from trees.
- Move or secure lawn furniture, trash cans, hanging plants or anything else that can be picked up by the wind and become a projectile.
THUNDERSTORM SAFETY STEPS Thunderstorms injure an average of 300 people every year, and cause about 80 fatalities. Here are the top thunderstorm safety steps you should follow:
- If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to the storm to be struck by lightning. Go to safe shelter immediately.
- As the storm approaches, take shelter in a building.
- If you are driving, pull off the roadway and park. Stay in the car with the windows closed and turn on the emergency flashers. Avoid touching metal or other surfaces that conduct electricity in and outside of the vehicle.
- If you are inside, unplug appliances and avoid using the telephone or any electrical appliances. Avoid taking a bath or shower, or running water for any other purpose.
- If you are caught outside and cannot reach a safe building, avoid high ground, water, tall, isolated trees and metal objects such as fences or bleachers. Picnic shelters, dugouts and sheds are not safe.
FLOODING Heavy rains could fill rivers and streams, bringing flooding to the area. If your neighborhood is threatened with the possibility of flooding, here are some things you should do:
- Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. When a flood or flash flood warning is issued for your area, head for higher ground and stay there.
- Stay away from floodwaters.
- If you come upon a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Keep children out of the water.
- Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood danger.
DOWNLOAD EMERGENCY People should download the free Red Cross Emergency App to receive emergency alerts and information about what to do in case of tornadoes, flooding and other disasters, as well as locations of shelters. The App also includes emergency first aid information and a Family Safe feature which allows people to instantly see if loved ones are okay. The free Emergency App is available in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
In Case of Emergency, Call SERVPRO of South Palm Beach
When disaster strikes in your home, you want to be sure you have the right people to restore your property and contents. It holds true that not all restoration companies are alike. Unlike other restoration technicians, restoration professionals such as SERVPRO of South Palm Beach, have specialized training, skills, equipment and professional quality meters to remediate the job efficiently and effectively.
In today’s business environment many companies are looking to increase their revenues by adding new services, for which they may have little or NO training. Be sure that the restoration company you are working with to restore your property has been properly trained. These companies often appeal to homeowners or businesses to perform disaster restoration services but end up costing clients in the end.
It is very common for amateurs to simply tear things out and then replace the materials or the items. A true professional performs a thorough inspection and identifies those materials and items that can be salvaged and restored to their preloss condition. This allows those professionals to complete the job much more quickly; thereby allowing you to get back to your normal routine. Restoration, instead of removal and replacement, helps contain costs. In some instances it eliminates the need to file an insurance claim.
Restoration Professionals have the necessary business licenses and insurance coverage that are required for such a business. As a matter of course, professionals are continually conducting training to be sure that they are following the most current, Industry Best Practices for their services.
For all property damaged by water, fire, smoke, mold and any other disaster, call your local SERVPRO of South Palm Beach office, The Paramedics of Property Damage. We are standing by to provide professional service, 24-hours every day of the year, with a trained and certified staff, as well as the best tools and equipment to service all emergencies.